If you have a fire or water emergency, please call us now at (732) 752-4445

To have the optimal experience while using this site, you will need to update your browser. You may want to try one of the following alternatives:

Fire & Water - Cleanup & Restoration

Are You Watching for These Fire Hazards in Your Home? SERVPRO® of Piscataway

11/12/2018 (Permalink)

Are You Watching for These Fire Hazards in Your Home? | SERVPRO® of Piscataway

In this blog, we’ll be diving into two of the most common household fire hazards. Because no one wants to experience the unfortunate possibility of seeing their home damaged by fire, it’s important to learn and understand how you can protect your home from this harsh reality by understanding fire hazards and knowing how to identify them.

Be Mindful When Burning Candles

Candle usage caused 2 percent of reported home fires, with 3 percent resulting in death and 7 percent with injuries. There were an average of 24 candle-related home fires reported per day during those five years, with December having the highest number of calls during the year for home candle fires.

Of the candle fires during this time span, 37 percent started in bedrooms and were responsible for 36 percent and 51 percent, respectively, of the associated deaths and injuries. According to the National Fire Protection Association, during a five-year period from 2011 to 2015, fire departments in the United States answered calls to an estimated 8,700 home structure fires a year that were started by candle use. These fires were responsible for 82 deaths, 800 injuries and $295 million in direct property damage.

Never use a candle if oxygen is being used in the home. Always blow all candles out before leaving a room or going to sleep. And be sure candles are kept at least one foot away from anything that could burn and in a sturdy holder that won’t easily tip over.

Disaster Can Stem From Indoor Smoking

While cooking is the main cause of home fires, smoking is the main cause of home fire deaths. Approximately 17,200 home structure fires caused by smoking materials, including cigarettes, pipes and cigars, were reported in 2014. Those fires resulted in 570 deaths, 1,140 injuries and $426 million in property damage, per the Coalition for Fire-Safe Cigarettes.

All cigarettes should be doused in water or sand prior to throwing them out—and keep in mind that one out of four fatalities from smoking-material fires is not the actual smoker whose cigarette started the fire.

Dust Bunnies = Fire Hazards

While candles and smoking are two of the most common causes of home structure fires, there are also other lesser-known hazards that could be present in your home.

Were you aware that some kinds of glassware in your home could pose a fire risk? When sunlight passes through the glassware, the concentrated ray may ignite flammable materials. It is best to keep glass accessories away from windows and out of sunlight.

Dust bunnies are also a fire risk if left to collect near electrical sockets and floor heaters. Sweeping or vacuuming your floors regularly and cleaning hard-to-reach areas like behind entertainment centers can help prevent buildup.

Check for loose electrical outlets in your home. The movement of these loose electrical outlets could possibly loosen the wires connected to the outlet and create dangerous arcing and sparking, which could ignite a fire.

Fire and smoke damage can be devastating to homes, and in many circumstances, is accompanied by water damage from the firefighting efforts. If your home is damaged by fire, smoke or water, SERVPRO® of Piscataway is here to help you restore your home to pre-fire condition.


Other News

View Recent Posts