Fire Safety Basics For your Family
Fire Safety Basics for Your Family | SERVPRO® of Piscataway
Every year in the United States, more than 350,000 house fires occur, adding up to more than $5.5 billion in property damage. These fires also lead to nearly 3,000 deaths and another 10,000 injuries.
Your best defense is to prepare in advance for a fire. That’s why it’s important for every person in your family to know how to prevent fires and understand what needs to be done if a fire occurs.
Start by teaching your kids basic fire safety guidelines at a young age. Also take a look at these three other fire safety precautions you can practice as a family:
If you were to walk through your home looking for fire hazards, you might be surprised at how many you spot! Take some time to check every room as well as your outdoor space to spot and correct these hazards.
- Appliances should be in good working condition.
- Check to be sure electrical cords aren’t damaged.
- Ensure electric outlets and/or extension cords aren’t overloaded.
- Light fixtures should be used with the correct light bulbs.
- Electrical wiring should never be covered up by rugs or carpet.
Home fires are often caused by cooking. That’s why it’s important to be especially careful in the kitchen.
Anyone who’s cooking needs to follow some basic cooking safety rules:
- Never cook when distracted or tired.
- Supervise kids and teens at all times when they are cooking.
- Keep a lid nearby when cooking on the stove. In the event of a grease fire, smother it with the lid.
- If the oven catches fire, keep the door closed and turn the oven off.
- If a kitchen fire occurs and starts to spread, leave the room and close the door.
Should a fire spark, every person in the family must know how to react and what to do—which includes how to get out of the house and where to go once they’re out.
But don’t just create a plan and not practice that plan.
You’ve heard the saying “practice makes perfect.” Regular practice of your fire plan will make everyone involved more likely to remember the steps if an actual fire occurs.
If your family has experienced a fire and needs help restoring your home, SERVPRO® of Piscataway can help! Give us call to learn about our fire restoration services and what we can do for you.