Mold Growth Prevention for the Most Vulnerable Rooms
Mold Growth Prevention for the Most Vulnerable Rooms | SERVPRO of Piscataway
When you’re working on mold prevention, a well-ventilated home is a great place to start, but even the driest of homes will have damp spaces. Pipes, faucets and steam can all encourage mold growth, and the spores are notorious for their resiliency.
While the moisture is unavoidable, harmful mold growth is not.
We’ve handled quite a few mold cases, and we understand that even the most inconspicuous of situations can lead to the harmful growth. Mold infestations can be stressful, so use this helpful room-by-room guide to develop a prevention strategy for any home.
The bathroom generates the most moisture, so it’s no surprise that it’s one of the most mold-friendly areas in the home. Thankfully, prevention is as simple as a few regular habits:
- Each year, reseal tile grout to stop moisture buildup.
- Replace shower liners regularly and use a shower curtain that can be laundered.
- Crack a window or use a vent fan when steam starts to accumulate.
- Purchase a squeegee to rid the tub of excess moisture after each shower.
A laundry room isn’t the most likely room to harbor mold, but the pipes and machines themselves can lead to sneaky growth behind-the-scenes. Here’s how to prevent it:
- Examine pipes for leaks often.
- Remove clothes from the washing machine immediately after the cycle ends.
- Open washer and dryer doors after each use.
- Check the dryer vents regularly—lint can encourage mold to spawn.
Basements are notorious for dampness and mold, but they also have the most hands-off prevention strategies. Here’s how to keep your basement clear with a small time investment:
- Set up an automatic dehumidifier to keep humidity low.
- Clear out clutter that mold could hide behind.
- Insulate pipes to prevent sneaky leaks.
- Keep the foundation clear of standing water.
If you’re struggling with mold, SERVPRO of Piscataway knows how to help! Contact us today for tips on prevention or for mold remediation services.