How to Protect Your Home From the Spring Thaw
We have seen a LOT of snow this winter in New Jersey so far. Though it may not feel like it yet, spring is around the corner. Spring officially starts on March 20th.
While the warmer temperatures of Spring are nice, the spring thaw that results can lead to problems. When you experience a snowy winter, the warmer temperatures of spring will cause the leftover snow and ice to melt. This thawing creates excess water that can cause water damage, in home flooding, and other issues around your home.
Here are some tips to keep your home protected from the spring thaw.
- Shovel the snow around your property. Most importantly make sure the snow that is up against your home is shoveled so it can melt away from your home. You should also make sure there is nothing in your yard that may obstruct the draining of melting snow and ice.
- Inspect your drainage system. The drainage system on your home must be free of obstructions in order to properly drain away the snow and water from your home. Open your roof drains and make sure floor drains and any outside drains are clear as well.
- Inspect your roof. Check the condition of your roof to make sure there is no damage from the winter.
- Check gutters and downspouts. Make sure there is nothing, such as twigs, leaves, or ice, preventing your gutters from draining properly. It is very important to clean your gutters and downspouts to allow for proper drainage.
- Test your sump pump. Make sure your sump pump is clean and the intake valve is clear. Test the sump pump to ensure it is working correctly. Sump pumps protect your basement from flooding, so it's important to make sure its in working condition.
- Protect your belongings. Move valuable or important items like personal documents or electronics to higher elevation. Try to make sure everything in your basement is off the ground, in case of a flood.
- Check your insurance policy. Most homeowner policies do not include flood damage so it's important to purchase this protection separately if you feel that you may be beneficial to you.
- Give us a call! If you have water damage in your home, hiring a professional restoration company like SERVPRO of Piscataway can give you peace of mind that your home is in good hands. We will guide you through the process of restoring your home to its pre-damage condition and get you back to your normal life as soon as possible.
SERVPRO of Piscataway