Stay Safe While Using Space Heaters This Winter
House fires are more common during the winter—and the space heaters many Americans rely on to heat their homes on frigid nights are among the most common causes of those fires.
Experts estimate that up to 25,000 house fires every year are caused by space heaters. In those fires, an estimated 300 people lose their lives.
So taking steps to keep your home safe while using space heaters can protect both your home and your family.
- Never place a space heater within three feet of fabric (like curtains) or upholstery in your home.
- Also, be sure you’re using a space heater with the latest safety features. Automatic shutoffs are especially important. If your space heater falls over, it can stop them from being a fire hazard.
- Don’t use an electric heater in areas where moisture creates a shock hazard, such as in a bathroom, kitchen, or near a glass window or door subject to heavy condensation.
- Always plug an electric heater directly into the wall outlet and make sure the power cord does not cross a walkway. Never run the heater’s cord under rugs or carpet, where it can be damaged. Never use extension cords or power strips.
Careful homeowners can do everything right and still need help in the aftermath of the house fire.
If you ever need our help, we have a team of experts who are ready to restore your home. Call SERVPRO of Piscataway at 732-752-4445.