Top Causes of Home Fires and How To Prevent Them
A third of all fires begin in the home. To keep your home and loved ones safe, you should educate yourself on the ways fires can start, so you can be ready if it ever happens.
Cooking fires are the leading cause of home fires and are responsible for half of the injuries from home fires
- Turn off the stove when you are away
- Use a timer when cooking
- Keep flammable items away from stove
- Never pour water on grease fire
Smoking is the leading cause of fire deaths. Cigarettes, pipes, and cigars cause 21% of home fire deaths.
- Smoke outside, not inside. Many fires begin in the bedroom or living room with fabric, paper, or other flammable material.
- Do not toss cigarettes into bushes or leaves
- Be cautious with e-cigarettes- do not leave them charging unattended or overnight.
Electrical equipment can create hazards- the wiring, lighting, electrical cords, and plugs, cause about 10% of house fires.
- Don't use light bulbs higher than the recommended wattage.
- Unplug appliances when not in use.
- Keep children away from electrical sockets.
- Call an electrician if you see sparks.
Candles can be very dangerous if you are not careful
- Never go to sleep with candles burning.
- Place candles at least a foot away from anything that could catch fire.
- Keep candles away from children and pets.
Heating equipment is the second main cause of home fire fatalities.
- Have a professional clean and inspect your chimney once a year.
- Test smoke alarms once a month.
- Keep flammable materials away from heaters.
If you have fire damage call SERVPRO of Piscataway. Our IICRC trained and certified technicians will come and make it "Like it never even happened."
SERVPRO of Piscataway 732-752-4445